Friday, January 15, 2010

Feeling guilty, yet so thankful


Here I sit on my new comfy couch all wrapped up in my blanket with my laptop and watching TV at the same time. I have a roof over my head, it my not be a big roof but it is mine, well almost, we still have a mortgage. I have food in my fridge although my boys would tell you we have "nothing" to eat. I have a nice Pathfinder and Maxima in my garage. I have heat and running clean water. I have plenty of clothes in my closet but I never have anything to wear. My boys have video game systems, iPods, computers and a TV in their room with cable. We live a happy comfortable life.

I sit and watch the news coverage from Haiti and I can not help but feel guilty about our "things" when so many have lost everything. When so many have died. When so many children are left to fend for them selves. The destruction I have seen on TV takes my breath away, makes my heart ache and my stomach hurt. I can only imagine what it is like to see first hand, it must be so difficult and must seem surreal. I realize that Haiti was in very bed shape before the quake. Did you know that most people in Haiti make $1 A DAY? That more then 1/3 did not have clean drinking water BEFORE the quake? How can this be? I don't understand it. I keep hearing about how many Americans were in Haiti for humanitarian relief. The aid has been pouring in for years so how could they not have clean drinking water? There is NO REASON that in this day and age people should go with out the basic necessities especially clean safe drinking water. Where has all this aid been going? Where is their president? Has he reached out to his people? Or is he crying that he does not have a place to live? Did you see that palace? WTF??

I know that I should not feel guilty, I should feel blessed, thankful but I can't help the way I feel. So tonight I will hug my boys a little tighter and thank God for all my blessings and pray for the people of Haiti.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a lady come talk to our church about Haiti. Their government is very very corrupt. Each president pockets billions of dollars each year while watching his people suffer. It is extremely sad. Somehow I can't help wondering if maybe this disaster might actually help Haiti as other countries step in and help them build the country the way it should have been built many many years ago. Why does our government spend so much on creating a better Iraq while watching this poor country continue to suffer by poor government? I don't get it!

Melissa B. said...

And don't forget to come over to visit me today. Lots of cheesiness going on!

It's Complicated

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

What a beautiful post - you are so right...and we are very fortunate. I feel so bad for all that is going on over there right now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails