Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Try Something New Tuesday...Polish Dill Pickle Soup (Zupa Ogorkowa)



Welcome to this weeks instalment of Try Something New Tuesday.

One of the fondest memories I have as a child is the smell of my Babcia's (Grandmother in Polish) cooking. The smell of Polish food would flow from her kitchen and most of the time I was excited to dig into whatever dish she had prepared. I say most of the time because there is a short list of things I never tried and still at almost 40 refuse to try, that could be a blog post in itself!

One of the things she would make was Dill Pickle Soup, I know it sounds odd but trust me those who had never heard of it and tried it LOVE it! My husband and best friend are included in that bunch. When I would visit my Babcia as I got older she always made sure she had made some for me. I could never make it as good as she could until this past weekend! I had a craving and tried my best once again and this time I was SO CLOSE....I actually impressed myself! This is super easy to make and very inexpensive as well. You can add less or more of the ingredients, it is all in "the taste" as Babcia would say.



Polish Dill Pickle Soup (Zupa Ogorkowa)

6 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock (I use chicken)
4 large refrigerated dill pickles chopped
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 -3/4 cup pickle juice from the pickle jar
3 cups chopped potatoes
1 small onion chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sour cream
Fresh Dill

In large pot melt butter add pickles, onions and flour. Saute until pickles are limp (5 minutes or so)
Add stock, pickle juice, potatoes and some fresh dill (about 1-2 Tablespoons-I just use kitchen scissors and clip until it looks like enough)
Simmer until potatoes are done, take about 2-3 cups of soup out of pot(mostly liquid) and let cool a few minutes. Add the sour cream to the soup you removed and whisk, slowly add back to pot. This will prevent the sour cream from curdling.

That's it! If you try this I would love for you to tell me about it!







2 comments:

Connie said...

I'm gonna have to trust you on this one. I can't even eat pickles on hamburgers. Sorry.

cstironkat said...

I love dill pickles so I will check out your recipe. Since no-one will be home Saturday, I'm planning on giving it a whirl. I will let you know

Related Posts with Thumbnails