Monday, March 1, 2010

Try Something New Tuesday...Kogel Mogel


Welcome to this weeks Try Something New Tuesday. Growing up my Grandfather who was from Poland, would make me something called Kogel Mogel. What is that you ask? Kogel Mogel is a dessert that is made with raw egg yolk and sugar. I know raw egg yolk, gross right? Well in the 1970's when I was a child we did not worry about things like semolina in eggs and thought nothing of eating this yummy dessert. My grandfather or Dzia Dzia as we called him would add all the ingredients into a coffee mug and whip it with a fork for what seemed like FOREVER, it was more like 10-15 minutes, until the yolks and sugar were the PERFECT consistency, pure heaven. Well we then learned that raw eggs were bad and some where along the line he stopped making it.

A few months ago I was at my local grocery store buying eggs when out of the corner of my eye i see "Pasteurized eggs" I stopped dead in my tracks! Davidson's Safest Choice Pasteurized eggs to be exact I almost screamed out loud!! The VERY FIRST thing I though of was Kugel Mugel and how my beloved Dzia Dzia would make it for me. I grabbed them and threw, I mean placed them in my cart.

I waited until after dinner to tell my children about Kogel Mogel and how I was going to make it for them later. My youngest was excited my oldest seemed a little grossed out. After dinner was cleaned up I grabbed the eggs and sugar and placed them into my coffee mug from Poland and grabbed a fork and began to whip away, i whipped and I whipped and I whipped, it seemed like forever. After about 15 minutes I was excited to be taken back to my childhood. I took a bite and tears filled my eyes, it brought back such wonderful memories of my Dzia Dzia. My youngest LOVED it, my oldest pretend like he liked it just for me as he has never requested it again but my youngest has. I went to the store the other day and they did not have them anymore! OH NO!!! I have another store to look at I do hope they are there otherwise I am going to contact the store I found them at originally and request they stock them!


Kogel Mogel

2 pasteurized large egg yolks
3 teaspoons honey or 3 teaspoons sugar

Put into coffee mug and whip for 10-15 minutes...enjoy!





I was not compensated in any way from Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs. I was just THRILLED to find them! :)

1 comment:

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

I have never heard of this dessert before (and I thought I knew of every single dessert in the world LOL).

He sounds like a very special man - and how neat to be taken back to your childhood. I hope you can find those eggs again - that would be awful if you can't! Do you have a Trader Joe's by you? I wonder if they would carry them?

Related Posts with Thumbnails