Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday's Green Tip

Oh my gosh it is Tuesday!!! How did that happen? Time for my green tip.....this week we will visit the laundry room.

Your popular name brand detergents contain phosphates and optical brighteners and some of the powder forms actually contain fiberglass, yes fiberglass. If you are itching and using powder guess what is making you itch?

I have tried several different brands and I like them all Charlie's Soap, Seventh Generation (stay away from the eucalyptus lavender, I thought my youngest got into the Vick's Vapor Rub!) and Method . If I had to choose I would recommend the Seventh Generation Free and Clear liquid.

Popular Fabric Softeners contain all kinds of chemicals and are considered the most dangerous chemical in our homes here is the list...

Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
Limonene: Known carcinogen A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled

And lets not forget animal tallow, aka animal fat.

Fear not there are alternatives. I use the Method Fabric Softer and find that it is not much more expensive the name brand ones, I buy it from Target. I have tried the Seventh Generation Fabric Softener but I can not find it locally.

Now for the bleach, I don't think I need to tell you how bad it is for us and the environment. I have been using Seventh Generation Free and Clear Chlorine Free bleach. This can be expensive but I have found that Target has their own brand and it is much cheaper.

Alot to take in I know but when I switched to natural laundry products I noticed that I was not itchy all the time and my children who have weird skin issues had not more weird skin issues!

Until next Tuesday..keep it Green

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I might have to look into this, because this is some scary information! Do you know anything about Arm & Hammer products? I've been using their plant-based ones lately and like them, but I'm not positive how green they are.

scargosun said...

This is great info. I need to use sensitive skin formulas for my detergent but if the Seventh Generation ones can keep me from itching too, I'll give it a whirl.

Ann Harrison said...

Thank you for this! I haven't seen Methods fabric softner, but I'll be looking for it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails